Thursday, February 2, 2012

Post the Second: On Celebrities and Obsessions

NOTE: The original was longer and better, but my old journal killed'd it when I tried to post it. So, here's the summarized version.

I had a dream not too long ago.
In it, I was standing beside an indoor pool while it was being filled up. Bill Clinton walks in, I pick up a hose, and thoroughly soak him. After I put it back down, he asks me why I did it, to which I reply that it was probably the media’s fault that so many people hate him… that they painted a bad image of him, when in reality he wasn’t that bad of a person, and it was that bad image that made odd people like me want to pick up water hoses and spray down ex-presidents. Sure, he did something stupid. Don’t we all?
Here’s a fun fact for you: I hate the media. In particular, the part of it that fills our minds with useless gossip about celebrities. How much of this is going to be remembered 5, even 10 years from now? Oh, dear! Brad and Angelina split up!
…Huh, that’s funny, relationships break up all the time, and most of them don’t even get a whisper of media coverage. So what makes Brad and Angelina so different? Why do we care if X star is pregnant, or Y star is a hopeless crack addict? The answer is simple. We only care because they’re on TV. Let’s face it- If these people weren’t on the boob tube, we wouldn’t give a bottled rat fart about them. And why should we? They’re just like us, really. They have ups, they have downs. They have addictions like we do- Chocolate, cigarettes, alcohol, horribly-acted B-grade horror flicks. They need to eat, sleep, drink, get sexed up every once in a while, just like we do. And yet, we follow them around with cameras, tap their phones, and steal used Kleenex from their trash cans. What in Hell is wrong with us?!
Here’s a thought: Take a moment to imagine your mother, pregnant with you. Now take a moment to imagine her pregnant with you, and with people hiding in the bushes with cameras ready. The very next day on the news, she sees her picture on the news, with her belly circled in red ink.
Do you see the same things wrong with this picture that I do?
So I ask again. Why do we care? Let me rephrase that, actually: Why should we care? Why are we hiring people to stalk them, do creepy, obsessive things, and post their secret lives all over the news, the web, and the newspapers? Don’t they deserve secrecy, at least? For having to put themselves forth as much as they do on a daily basis, don’t they deserve some sort of solace?
Aren’t they, after everything is said and done, only human?

No comments:

Post a Comment